Like the Mayenburg Castle in Völlan, the Wehrburg was once the administrative headquarters of the Counts of Eppan on the so-called Ultental line. Along with its use as administrative headquarters, the castle served as a watchtower for the traffic moving from the Etschtal Valley over the Gampenpass mountain pass into the Nonstal Valley. This road ran from Nals over Prissian. The first written record of the Lords of Wehrburg-Andrian is from 1229. The castle was built in the 13th century; after the Eppan-Ultental line died out it was taken over by the bishops of Trent. There they were embroiled in battles with Meinhard II, Count of Gorizia. In 1332 Eghard Murenteiner von Andrian married Adelheid von Werberg, the daughter of Heinrich von Werberg, and through this marriage came into possession of the Wehrburg. There were later disputes around the inheritance; however, Jakob Murenteiner was granted the Wehrburg fiefdom in 1411. Since that year it has borne the name Andrian-Werburg.